Sunday, December 12, 2010

Elf on the Shelf Tradition

So I am probably a little behind all you out there, but I just found out about the Elf on the Shelf tradition. For those of you who don't know what this is, let me tell you.
I bought ours from Barnes and Noble and it is this box that comes with the "Elf on the Shelf- a Christmas tradition" book and a little elf. (I paid $25 with shipping, worth every penny. Plus we will use it for the next 15 years alteast) I wrapped the box up and labeled it- To: oconnor kids From: the north pole. We pretended like there was a knock at the door and the kids found the package and opened it up. They were SO excited to get a package from the north pole. We next read the book which is a really cute book that rhymes and tells the story of how the whole thing works.
It first tells that there is a secret of how santa knows if you are good or bad and that it is an elf that comes to report back to him. Then you have to name your elf. So we chose the name FRED. You set him somewhere in your house that the kids can see. Each night when the kids are sleeping Fred flies back to the north pole to tell santa if they've been good or bad. Christmas magic helps him to be fast. He comes back before they wake up and he is in a different spot in the house. Just like if he had REALLY left. Let me tell you that Ashtyn especially went crazy with the idea that Fred was a REAL elf. She keeps saying that she sees his eyes move and how he can really fly. In the morning she JUMPS out of bed to see where Fred is next.
The one rule is that you CANNOT touch Fred. if you do, the magic will be gone and Santa won't know if you were good or bad. (I love this rule becasue I think my kids would be dying to play with Fred otherwise) Also, that Fred cannot speak, cause Santa says so. But he will listen to your wishes for christmas. (Ashtyn has been telling him her LONG list of things). Then it tells that Fred will be gone Christmas Eve night, but that he will be back next year at the beginning of the Holidays. Isn't this just the CUTEST tradition. Our kids are just at the PERFECT ages to totally get into it. It is so fun to put Fred somewhere new each night before we go to bed. Then to see them find him in the morning. It is a little like Christmas morning to them, just having a surprise each morning. When they are being bad I just say "Fred is watching." I hope that we can enjoy doing this for many, many, many years to come because it is just so fun.

2 comments:

The Schmutz Family said...

That sounds so cute. I am going to have to get that for sure for next year.

Unknown said...

um it's been the MOST AMAZING thing our household EVER!!!! Did I tell you about it??? can't remember. But My kids love to wake up and find him and they have been pretty well behaived!